1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Gaming PC Build

Discussion in 'Technology Discussions' started by SlaughterMachine, Dec 31, 2016.

1. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    So, this is the gaming PC I have been buying parts for. I just put it together today, though I haven't installed an OS yet. It might be a little bit before I do that as I only have one Win7 license and I'm not quite yet ready to convert my current PC to a NAS yet.

Anyhow, here are the specs. The links are to Newegg, but I didn't purchase everything there. I had better deals elsewhere on some stuff. The other places I purchased from were Amazon and B & H Photo.

1. Motherboard: ASRock X99 Taichi
    2. CPU: Core i7-6800K 6-Core 3.4Ghz CPU
    3. CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    4. Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaw V Series 4x8GB SDRAM DDR4 2400 (32GB total)
    5. OS Drive: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SATA III SSD Drive
    6. Game Install Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD Drive
    7. DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    8. Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP! 6GB GDDR5
    9. Power Supply: SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX 12V 80 Plus GOLD Certified
    10. Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case

I just ran out of ports on my switch, so I also just about a 16 port Netgear managed switch capable of link aggregation. This motherboard has two GB ethernet ports and I purchased a dual Ethernet card for my current PC that I'm converted to a NAS and a virtual machine server which will also host a Plex media server. This is great cause now I can connect my PC and my NAS at 2GB speeds for faster file access on the NAS, plus use the motherboard Ethernet port on the NAS as a DMZ for hosting my VMs and streaming Plex off-site.

Here is picture of the inside of the build. You can't see the SSD drives as they are virtically standing on the backside of the case. I have (2) 2TB spindle drives in my current PC that I will migrate over once I purchase the 3-4 3TB NAS drives for my current PC which also has a 256GB OS drive.

[​IMG]

Share you build detail and pictures if you have them!

Achilleslastand and Zeras like this.
  2. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I have an ASUS G751JY Gaming Laptop.

• Intel i7-4720HQ 2.6ghz
    • 32gb RAM
    • nVidia GTX 980M w/4gb DDR5 VRAM
    • G-Sync support for high refresh rates without screen tearing
    • (2) Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSDs
    • (2) ASUS 27 MX279H IPS Monitors w/Narrow Bezels
    • Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic Keyboards (I have several)
    • Logitech MX Master Mouse

Here are stock photos of the equipment ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    OK my cruddy cell phone camera doesn't take the best pics and isn't going to do this justice but here goes.............and disregard my lack of cable management.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable Motherboard Black Edition
    i7-4790K
    Cooler Master 212 EVO cooler.
    16 GB Ballistix Tactical RAM@1866
    MSI R290X 4 GB
    Thermaltake Smart series PSU 750 watts.
    2 Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSDs.
    Antec 900 case.

Two things are on my list of upgrades.....A new GPU, love to get a 1070, and new case as this one is about 8 years old.

It isn't cutting edge but will do everything I need and then some, the antec 900 is a known dust magnet so I got one of these to blow it out. It is safer and more powerful than canned air and has already paid for itself, highly recommended if you need a duster but don't want canned air. Best 60 bucks I ever spent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum...id=1483247270&sr=8-4&keywords=electric+duster

[​IMG]

SlaughterMachine and Zeras like this.
  4. SlaughterMachine

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    @Achilleslastand Checkout the Corsair Obsidian 750D case. My last PC had one and I like it so much I bought another for this build.
    • It has great cable management allowing for cables to be ran behind the motherboard.
    • It has a huge amount of space obviously being a full size case.
    • It supports (6) 3 1/2" drives AND (3) 2 1/2 drives. (total of 9 drives) All toolless install not to mention the (3) CD/DVD drive bays that can host drives too.
    • Support for liquid cooler mounting.
    • External durable magnetically connected filter panels that you just pull off and wipe the dust off and slap right back on the exterior case. Makes keeping the inside clear of dust a breeze! Including a slide out one on the bottom that filters air going into the power supply.
    • The case is mostly metal with only some plastic parts. Mainly the toolless drive trays which are flexable allowing very easy installation.
    • Very clean design. (my preference) It's not all flashy with lots of lights and stuff. That can be a con if that's what you want. Not me though.
    • Clear glass side so you can see into the case if you need to check something without opening it.
    • (2) USB 3 and (2) USB 2 on the front panel along with your three audio jacks.
    • Includes (3) internal fans. Two in front (in-take) and one in the rear. (exhaust)
    • The best part for me is, for a case this nice and you can get it for $99 at Amazon vs $130-$150+ at other places.

I used hate spending more than $50 on a case, but this case is without question worthy of $100.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Jack_Burton and Achilleslastand like this.
  5. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    Awesome, will check it out.

6. SlaughterMachine

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    Interesting thing.

I finally installed Windows 7 on the new PC and when I tried to play a game, the frame rate was AWFUL. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. I thought possibly the video card had issues, but I put my old GTX 960 in it and had the same issues.

Last night I finally figured out what the problem was. The CPU temp was constantly sitting at 90C. The CPU was down-clocking itself to only 800Mhz so it wouldn't overheat itself.

So, I pulled the liquid cooler off and reset it. Still no help. It says the pump is running, but the liquid is 26C while the CPU was sitting at 90C. So, I RMA'ed the Corsair H100i v2. Corsair is good about allowing RMAs to send out the new one first and then allow you to return the broken device. This is cool. I RMA'ed it last night and Amazon will have the new one at my house tomorrow. Due to the CPU overheating safety, the PC continues to run with the broken cooler while I wait for the replacement. Just can't really play any games without the game frame rate being terrible. (World of Warships is somewhat playable though)

Anyhow. Just figured I would share that in case someone else ends up having a similar issue in the future.

Zeras and Khartun like this.
  7. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Several years ago, I had an issue with cooling in a tower system I built that included a highly-rated third party cooling system I bought for it. I finally figured out the problem was there was a gap between the CPU and the cooling system. I had put thermal paste on the cpu but there was still a gap so I tweaked the connectors on the cooling system and added more thermal paste and that solved my problem.

Of course, better to get a replacement first to see if that solves the problem.

SlaughterMachine likes this.
  8. SlaughterMachine

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    I used plenty of thermal paste and I re-seated the block. It didn't change. While it's possible that is still an issue. The liquid is just barely off room temperature. (about 5F) If it was even only slightly touching the CPU at 90F (around 200F), you would think the liquid should be a bit warmer than that even if passing through the radiator.

Zeras likes this.
  9. SlaughterMachine

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    The replacement liquid cooler came in. Installed it and finally everything is running great. :)

Zeras likes this.
  10. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    That's good to hear :D

Hopefully it's not too much machine for you :)

11. SlaughterMachine

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    It very well maybe. You know I'm such a wuss. All those cores gigabytes of memory are frightening! :eek:

Zeras likes this.
  12. Section446

Section446 Member PC Gamer

16 Messages
    11 Likes
    Videocard: GeForce 1080ti
    Processor: i7 6700 3.4ghz.
    RAM: 16 GB
    Monitor: Asus MG278 165hz.

Zeras likes this.
  13. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Why did you get a freesync monitor with an nvidia card?

14. Section446

16 Messages
    11 Likes
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Zeras likes this.
  15. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Okay, that makes more sense.

I have been an ASUS fan for years and would love to replace one of my 27" ASUS monitors with a curved 34" monitor, but just cannot justify the huge cost on them right now.

16. Section446

16 Messages
    11 Likes
    Don't do it if you play competitive.