1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Shroud of the Avatar free trial for the next 5 days

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by Achilleslastand, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?...oud_of_the_avatar:_forsaken_virtues__digital_

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO created by a team that includes: Richard “Lord British” Garriott the creator of the Ultima series, Starr Long the Director of Ultima Online, and Tracy Hickman the author of Dragonlance

• Episodic Content: Five episodes of virtue based stories created by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman; supported by prequel novels starting with Blade of the Avatar.
    • Single Player Offline Mode: Players will adventure through over 40 hours of story in an interactive world where their choices during ethical paradoxes have consequences.
    • Selective Multiplayer Modes: You can also play with everyone in a single world with three different online modes (Single Player, Friends Only, and Open).
    • Classless Character System: Vast customization options with hundreds of skills and spells in over 20 different skill trees.
    • Player Driven Economy: Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.
    • Skillful Combat: A new way to prepare and fight in an RPG by building custom decks of skills and dynamically activating them in combat.
    • PVP: Consensual with Open PVP flags, zones, and Guild Warfare.
    • Pay Once to Play: No subscription fees. Each episode (released approximately annually) is a one time fee and everything in the game can be purchased with in game gold that can be earned (except for some exclusive backer rewards).
    • Player Housing: Non instanced, finite, and embedded in the world with multiple group living options.
    • Social: Full Guild System, Highly Active Community and Player Owned Towns.
    • Crowd Sourced & Funded: Support the project by contributing content (and receive compensation) or by pledging (and receive exclusive rewards).
    • Open Development: Players help shape the game by giving feedback on monthly early access releases, videos, weekly updates, blog postings, forums, chat, etc.

• FYI, there are some limitations on the free trial version. I am however going to give this a spin, I almost backed it a couple of years ago but decided to wait.

Zeras likes this.
  2. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I saw that and did think about it, but then remembered that game above all others has made me hate early access (aka .. official game launch while still in alpha) games :)

3. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Definitely post an update though. I had a friend of mine who bought into the early access around 2 years ago who at that time really regretted it. It would be interesting to see how much it has improved since then.

Achilleslastand likes this.
  4. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    Ok managed to play for a small bit but not near as much as I wanted. Here is a interactive world map, and yes it is huge.

https://www.sotamap.com/

Movement between cities is done on the world map, with your character being displayed as a single figure. The only time you will be in the 3D world is when you are in cities or instances which are basically encounters along the roads with bandits, skeletons etc. All of your crafting is done in cities at crafting stalls with resources for crafting being available in town at vendors or in instances or just outside of town{trees, leather from animals, etc} There are also vendors selling basic armor/weapons as we as player vendors selling better crafted stuff.
    As far as I could tell character progression is pretty open. Want to use magic as well as a bow, or heavy armor with sword and shield, or any combination you can. Your skills are made of "cards" which make up decks which you put on your taskbar. You start out with a basic set of skills then its up to you what direction you go, there are skill instructors where you may purchase more skills whether it be crafting, combat or magic. These skills are raised by using them ala the Elder Scrolls series.
    The combat most surely needs polish and I as well as most of the players are not a fan of the card/deck system.
    I believe in the couple of days I played I encountered a very small number of players, a dozen at most, a mix of regulars and free trial players.
    I could see getting this on the Steam sale when it is usually 20 bucks but 40 is too much at least to me.

Also another thing that chaps my rear is they have raised over 11 million but still need this........
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-homes

Anyways I believe it has potential but needs a fair amount of polish and from I saw a much bigger player base{although I heard that most will come back when its fully released.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    [​IMG]Ardoris Shogun Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Ardoris Guard Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Ardoris Priestess Outfit Pattern Pack (digital) $15
    [​IMG]
    Elven Elder Fighter Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Elven Elder Archer Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $20
    [​IMG]
    Elven Elder Mage Robe Pattern Pack (digital) $12
    [​IMG]
    Silver Clockwork Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Black Clockwork Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Steel Clockwork Armor Pattern Pack (digital) $25
    [​IMG]
    Viking Helm Pattern Pack (digital) $6
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Wealthy Merchant Outfit (digital) $20
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Wealthy Merchant Outfit Pattern Pack (digital) $20
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Satyr Bardiche (digital) $15
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Satyr Bardiche Pattern Pack (digital) $6
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Dagger (digital) $15
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Dagger Pattern Pack (digital) $6
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Basket Hilt Sword (digital) $15
    [​IMG]
    Ornate Basket Hilt Sword Pattern Pack (digital)

6. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    [​IMG]Ornate Greenhouse 4-Story Row House (digital) $100
    [​IMG]
    Wood & Plaster 4-Story with Balcony Row House (digital) $50
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Viking 4-Story Row House (digital) [​IMG]$100
    [​IMG]
    Blue Tile Roof 4-Story with Balcony Row House (digital) $50
    [​IMG]
    Kobold 3-Story with Right Alcove Row House (digital) $40
    [​IMG]
    Kobold 3-Story with Left Alcove Row House (digital) $40

Zeras likes this.
  7. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I remember buying an outfit in Guild Wars 2 with its in-game cash shop currency (gems) that I was quite pleased with. I activated it then went to the bank area and saw 4 other people in the same outfit *laughs*

Achilleslastand likes this.