1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone playing Elder Scrolls Online?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by Supercowboy1986, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member PC Gamer

52 Messages
    45 Likes
    I have been curious about trying ESO however. I received an email saying it was f2p till April 18th or something. Other then how it looks, how does the actual game play? Is it worth even starting a new character?

I know your purpose wasn't to discuss ESO and I don't mean to hijack, just have been wondering since I have never played it and received that email.

Zeras likes this.
  2. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I have only played ESO a little and honestly, it is a really impressive game. I'm just not in the mood to play drab and more real (less colorful) looking MMOs right now. ESO is having a free period where it is basically like you bought the game. If you are interested in it, you could try it now. That said, I remember when I bought the game it was like a 40GB download.

Another thing you can do, which is what I do when I want to check out a new game, is go to Youtube and search for something like "elder scrolls online gameplay" .. just add "gameplay" to any game name and you will likely find videos of people playing the game. Set it to full screen (and if the narrator is annoying, mute it) and check it out as if you were playing it.

Supercowboy1986 likes this.
  3. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    I've played it, but I don't find it playing with friends friendly. If you don't ALWAYS play together, it screws you up quest wise. You've already done the quest so sometimes the entire environment will be different for you and the guy you're playing with. SPIT

Zeras likes this.
  4. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    That is one thing I remember from the past. In the EverQuest games, there were a ton of quests, and sometimes you could join an instance as long as one member was on the quest that gave them access while other times you could not. However, in WoW, I remember how some environments/areas would be completely different depending on whether you had or had not completed a quest or series of quests.

That said, i think the game is more solo friendly now than it was long ago when I tried playing it. Without any twinking or special equipment, I have leveled quite quickly and the only time I have come close to dying was when I just did not care and ran straight into several mobs at the same time and even then, I was never worried I would die.

I am concerned that if I keep leveling, I may hit some difficult parts that will require help though, but for now, I am enjoying the adventure at a normal pace. In fact, I am going to do all of the starter areas as my favorite thing to do in MMOs is completely everything :)

Achilleslastand likes this.
  5. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

227 Messages
    178 Likes
    Yep. I was playing with a couple of friends. I out leveled them and then part of a quest went into a dungeon. I get my bleep kicked about 4 times before I just gave up. I had nobody that could go in with me because they couldn't even get to it.

Zeras likes this.
  6. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    I played the beta and wasn't impressed then got the Imperial edition on sale last year for 10 bucks. Ive been playing LOTRO and that takes up pretty much most of my MMO times these days. Funny story here, a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning up space on my pc and lets just say I was a bit under the influence. I must have accidently deleted ESO because I went look for it the other day just to check for updates and it had vanished, and mind you that 55GB game is a very good sized dl. I may get around to DL it again before the Morrowind expansion which btw is my favorite TES game hands down.

Zeras likes this.
  7. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes

That's the way im currently playing LOTRO even tho it may take a bit more time. I am doing any and everything and that includes PVE, crafting and any quest I can find no matter the level{pretty much}. In about 4 weeks playing time I am level 30 and have crafted myself a decent piece of chest armor/shield. I don't understand the people who love to power level and get your toon to max level in just a few days. And don't even get me started on the MMOS that give you the option to buy a character that starts at a certain high level.

Zeras likes this.
  8. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    ESO was really bad when it launched. They went back to the drawing board and did a really good job fixing everything people were complaining about and making the game more like what everyone expected and hoped for. I think it's a really good game. I just wish I was in the mood to play a game like that.

I still login to LoTRO every so often and enjoyed the game, though I don't have any high level characters. With the sale of the game to Standing Stone and the publishing rights turned over to Daybreak, and the game's story almost at an end, I'm just worried it won't be around for more than 2-3 more years. I hope that's not the case as I may end up in LoTRO again one day :)

9. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I played Guild Wars 2 the same way. I always rushed in the older games and with GW2 I started focusing more on the journey and the adventure. There are more than enough single player and co-op games to rush through. Playing that way made the game much more fun for me.

10. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member PC Gamer

52 Messages
    45 Likes
    What was bad about ESO and what were the fixes that corrected it? The only thing I can think of is launch day when all their servers went down. But that's nothing out of the ordinary with new game releases.

Also since you and zeras seem to like the LOTR mmo how do you level and advance your character? (bonus points for whoever referred to character as a toon lol- haven't heard that since I played última online)

For example I'd like to play Aragorn, does that mean there is a human ranger I could play as? Can you play evil characters? Like a nazgul?

11. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes

In LOTRO you advance you character from questing, PVE and also can gain Xp from crafting if you so choose. You may play a human Ranger but you would have to pick your own unique name. Their is PVP which Is basically Player vs monster{controlled by other human players}. not sure exactly how it works as I have never tried it out.

12. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Member Playstation Gamer

10 Messages
    9 Likes
    Up to almost 100GB now woth Morrowind and Clockwork City DLC

13. darthseinfeld

10 Messages
    9 Likes
    Been playing since console launch.

Questing is pretty much all solo. As far as grouping, its only really relevant for group content ( Group dungeons, trials, Craglorn and even that's "solo friendly" now.

14. darthseinfeld

10 Messages
    9 Likes
    As a long time player, I would say the biggest downfall is group queing if you are damage. I would guess about 70% of the toons in the game are damage, so of you Que in the activity finder as damage it could be a while before you get into anything. If you que as a support (healer or tank) often you can get in almost instantly.

My main toon is a dps, but its gotten to the point I have almost abandonded him for my healer because its soooooo much easier to get into content. As a capped player, if I get thrown into a weak group I can carry it through most content on my main. As a healer however, I really cant. Which sucks because I have had to drop out of groups because the group cant finish content

15. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I know bandwidth speeds are improving for everyone, but game companies need to come up with a much better deployment strategy for their games, especially if they offer trials and demos.

Even worse, it forces you to keep the games installed and taking up drive space (which is important on SSDs given their prices) even when not playing them because you know if you decide to play again one day, you'll be looking at that large download again.

16. darthseinfeld

10 Messages
    9 Likes
    I think ESO may have a year or so left. There plan is to do Chapters, very large scale expansions like Morrowind. Morrowind was about 30 gigs itself, and they increased by another 15 or so after that with the dungeon pack in Q3 and the Clockwork City DLC in Q4. The file size is going to grow to large eventually.

The game has been a big success for them. But I think they need an ESO2 (like Destiny) VS going for a WOW.

Elder Scrolls 6 also needs to happen and will cannibalize ESO when it does. Luckily an ES6 and an ESO2 can be developed at the same time as they Bethesda uses a different team ( im fact a different studio I believe ) for ESO