1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoe 4

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by maxdogg, Sep 4, 2017.

1. maxdogg

maxdogg Well-Known Member PC Gamer

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    I just saw AOE 4 was announced I wonder is anyone excited about this?
    I'm hoping for the best.

Achilleslastand and Zeras like this.
  2. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I owned and played Age of Empires 1 and 2. In fact, those are the only RTS games I've ever played that I enjoyed so I might give AOE 4 a try when it comes out.

Achilleslastand and maxdogg like this.
  3. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    I loved 3 it might be my favorite rts of all time.
    I hope they build on the mechanics of 3 for 4.
    I think it would be epic!!!

Zeras likes this.
  4. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Not sure I played 3. I never really liked most RTS games because it seems like I spent more time building them only to spend just a few minutes losing in them, but I did like AOE :)

maxdogg likes this.
  5. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    Well that's what was great about 3 you had a home city with a deck of cards which you could call up at just the right time.
    Made it much less of a click fest!

Zeras likes this.
  6. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Hmm .. I may have to check that out then. I love strategical thinking and strategy in general, which is why I desperately tried to find to RTS games to play. I have bought and tried many of them over the years such as several CNC/Red Alert, StarCraft, WarCraft, Total Annihilation, etc. games, but the only one I ever really played was AOE1 and AOE2. I may actually own AOE3 now that I think about it :)

7. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    Got my eye on this, I believe next month they are releasing the original AOE definitive edition which actually looks pretty sweet. https://www.ageofempires.com/

For some odd reason they decided to make this a windows store exclusive and you HAVE to have windows 10 to play which is very disappointing.

maxdogg and Zeras like this.
  8. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Oh I might have to get that version. Though I will admit I will kind of miss the pixel graphic armies :D

maxdogg and Achilleslastand like this.
  9. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    Does look sweet doesn't it?

I just don't get them making this a windows store/10 exclusive. Seems to me they could sell way more copies using Steam

Zeras and maxdogg like this.
  10. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I think part of it is their desire to stop supporting the older Windows versions. They have already said that Windows 10 is their last version for a while and going forward, they'll focus all updates on it. That would mean they are treating it like a game console in the sense they want to get everyone on that platform and make it the best OS possible and the only way to do that is to ween people off over older versions, including a lot of gamers who have stuck with Windows 7.

As for Steam, I think we're going to see a lot of game companies move away from Steam because they either way to start their own portals, or there are going to be more "exclusive" game portals and distribution services they can use. I suspect Microsoft is wanting to replace Steam with their own service probably centered around Xbox Live (or whatever they call it now or at that time). A prime example of what I have been saying for a while is Destiny 2 which is being released in the Battle.net portal.

Achilleslastand likes this.
  11. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    I have never ever updated my OS just for a game, this however may be the first time. I tried to get on the wife's laptop and navigate around 10 just to get a feel for it and I felt lost.

Zeras likes this.
  12. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I didn't want to upgrade, but when the free upgrade was about to end, I wanted to make sure I got it just in case. I made an image of my drive with the old OS with the plan of upgrading, then reloading my previous image because once you upgraded, you could always upgrade for free later. I know they said you could downgrade, but I didn't want my system back almost like it was, I wanted it back just like it was because I used it for work as well.

After installing Windows 10, I decided to stick with it for a little while just to see how it was. I never went back, and honestly, I don't think I could go back now to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (which I was one of the few who liked apparently .. hated Win8 though).

The only thing I hate about Windows 10 is the start button. Yes, they tried to make it more old-Windows like, but I still don't like it.

If you run Windows 10, you should install Classic Shell (it's free). Once you do that, the new OS is not that big of a deal. Some screens will be the same, some will be different, but I find as long as I have the start button like I had with Windows 7, Windows 10 is a pretty good OS for me.

13. Achilleslastand

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    Thanks!

Zeras likes this.
  14. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    I agree man.
    I think with 4 they will do the same thing and follow the Blizzard model.
    I really hope they put it on steam but it does not look good.

15. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    They all want their own game distribution portal so they can eventually add in other game companies and make money off their games as well.

Achilleslastand and maxdogg like this.
  16. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    Do you think they will make more this way as opposed to going with steam?

Achilleslastand and Zeras like this.
  17. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Yes, I definitely do. I think Steam developed the market, while some MMO companies started building their own portals like Blizzard, Arc Games, etc. and they will likely try to establish themselves as a distribution portal for other game companies eventually. It's the same reason some game companies are starting to put more focus on publishing games while cutting back on development projects.

I think with the Bungie partnership with Blizzard on adding Destiny 2 to the Battle.net portal/game center, other larger game companies are going to start working on their own portals to compete. Then slowly, as their traffic base increases, they'll be a nice alternative to steam for game developers.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Steam. I have long had a steam account and have bought several games through it, though mainly older games or games only available through it. I just don't care for Steam's stats, rankings, achievements, etc. If they didn't have a huge bloated client that was slow to load, seems like it patches every day, forces you to see sales in the store, etc., I would like the concept. To me, the best portal so far is the Battle.net portal because it's clean, slim and to super easy to navigate, patch games, etc.

Steam is just cluttered with too many kickstarter-like early access games.

maxdogg and Achilleslastand like this.
  18. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    The one thing I really like about steam is the offline mode.
    I have a place in the mountains that I spend a lot of time at and can play my whole library of games with no internet connection and that is great!!

Zeras likes this.
  19. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    That sounds awesome! I hope to be moving near the mountains in the next few months.

maxdogg likes this.
  20. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    Really?
    That's great!! I hope someday to retire at a place in the mts but I may have to stay where i'm at.

Zeras likes this.