1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming Laptop or Gaming Desktop for PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Technology Discussions' started by Zeras, Dec 28, 2016.

?

Gaming Laptop or Gaming Desktop for PC gaming?

1. Gaming Desktop

80.0%
  2. Gaming Laptop

20.0%
  1. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

351 Messages
    194 Likes
    Which gaming setup do you use for PC gaming?

2. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

172 Messages
    150 Likes
    Gaming on a laptop is for LOSERS!

Achilleslastand likes this.
  3. Zeras

351 Messages
    194 Likes
    That may have been the case in the past, but a lot has changed in the last couple of years. I always built my own PCs for years, but due to work, I ended up getting a gaming laptop back in 2015. I still use that laptop now as my primary system. It powers two 27" monitors, has 2 500GB Samsung SSDs in it and 32GB of RAM. It also has G-Sync which allows me to hit 80+ FPS in most games I have played even at max settings.

Even then, the newer gaming laptops that are starting to come out feature nVidia 1060/70/80 cards that are not mobile versions, but full versions of those cards and performance on those is supposed to be even higher than my laptop.

4. SlaughterMachine

172 Messages
    150 Likes
    I have a Samsung Series 9 and I can play World of Warships on it no problem, but the only reason I know that is I took it on vacation to Texas to hang out with buddies I grew up with whom I hangout with online on Friday nights. We play the game, and I wanted to play while I was with them.

Other than that, I would never game on a laptop if I can help it. My Desktop will blows the doors of any laptop.

5. Zeras

351 Messages
    194 Likes
    That Samsung laptop is nowhere near a gaming laptop. My laptop that's from 2015 will actually outperform a lot of gaming desktops. When I got this laptop, I gave my gaming tower I built to a friend of mine who couldn't afford an upgrade. My gaming laptop was faster and had higher FPS than the tower I gave away, which was a 5th gen i7, with 16GB of RAM and an nVidia GTX970 card.

6. Section446

Section446 Member PC Gamer

12 Messages
    6 Likes
    Desktop, easier to upgrade.

Zeras likes this.
  7. Zeras

351 Messages
    194 Likes
    For me, one of the main reasons I have switched to laptops is power consumption. Desktops are using more and more power these days, despite the CPUs and GPUs supposedly using less power. I run all of my systems 24/7, including monitors, so when you compare total power consumption with a laptop and its devices with that of a desktop/tower with its devices, there is a noticeable difference in my monthly electric bill. Not to mention, the heat generated from the desktop/tower requires more A/C cooling during warmer months.

That said, I miss having a tower, even in a mini-tower or mini-ITX, that would be easier to upgrade, replace parts, etc. at times.

8. SlaughterMachine

172 Messages
    150 Likes
    Desktops for life! Down with the laptops! Burn them! Burn them all!!!

Achilleslastand and Zeras like this.