1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

I bought the Batman Arkham Asylum and City games from Steam's big sale

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by Zeras, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    The GOTY versions were quite cheap so I picked them up based on comments here and elsewhere.

Should I play the games in order?

2. Blast Hardcheese

Blast Hardcheese Well-Known Member PC Gamer

70 Messages
    45 Likes
  3. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    Have you played them or you just assuming they should be played in order? I mean do the stories carry over in other words? Is the first game good enough to hold off playing the newer game?

BigStar likes this.
  4. Blast Hardcheese

Blast Hardcheese Well-Known Member PC Gamer

70 Messages
    45 Likes
    I played the 2 first ones, asylum and the next one.

The story is...it's Batman, make from that what you will.

Zeras likes this.
  5. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    That's what I needed to know then :D

Thanks!

6. TellerMorrow34

TellerMorrow34 Member Playstation Gamer

18 Messages
    27 Likes
    Yes play them in order. The stories do carry over and you'll spoil things in Arkham Asylum if you play Arkham City first.

Afterwards pick up Arkham Knight cause it's the final of their trilogy and they're all fantastic.

BigStar and Zeras like this.
  7. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    That's quite helpful! Thanks :D

8. drawandstrike

drawandstrike Active Member PC Gamer

33 Messages
    29 Likes
    Yeah, it's actually a trilogy, Arkham Asylum starts it, Arkham City continues the story, and Arkham Knight concludes it.

Think of it as the gaming equivalent of Christopher Nolan's Bat man film trilogy. Batman Begins starts it, The Dark Knight continues it, and The Dark Knight Rises ends it.

I just played my way all the way through Arkham City the last 2 weeks. Let me know if you get stuck or need some info.

Zeras likes this.
  9. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    Thanks .. I'm looking forward to playing them :D

drawandstrike likes this.
  10. drawandstrike

33 Messages
    29 Likes
    Epic isn't too strong a word to describe the series.

11. TellerMorrow34

TellerMorrow34 Member Playstation Gamer

18 Messages
    27 Likes
    Epic would be an absolutely accurate description of this series.

BigStar and drawandstrike like this.
  12. drawandstrike

33 Messages
    29 Likes
    What's awesome about Rocksteady's Batman series is that there were plenty of Batman games over the years but they all either sucked or were meh. I know because I played most of them!

13. MegaManFan03

MegaManFan03 Member PC Gamer

18 Messages
    13 Likes
    You don't really need to play Asylum. City does a great job of getting you used to the controls on it's own. Even in Hard mode. Asylum is actually a bit more difficult to control really.

Arkham Origins isn't that bad a game to play either. It's every light on story but it plays just fine for the most part. It does have a Deadshot boss that is pretty difficult IIRC.

14. drawandstrike

33 Messages
    29 Likes
    A lot of people hate on Arkham Origins but most of it is it due to the fact it was made by another studio other than Rocksteady and it's not as good as Arkham City.

Well few games were ever gonna match Arkham City, and for what it was, a 'placeholder' game put together to give Batman fans something to play in the 4 years between Arkham City and Arkham Knight, it works okay. I had fun with some of the 'back to the beginning' storylines where Batman first encounters some of the key Gotham villains.

BigStar likes this.
  15. MegaManFan03

MegaManFan03 Member PC Gamer

18 Messages
    13 Likes
    The story for Origins is mostly crap. But it's game play wasn't that bad overall. Far easier than AC or AA. In fact it's probably a better starting point for the Arkham games. Only real tough boss fight is Deathstroke.

BigStar likes this.
  16. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Playstation Gamer

58 Messages
    49 Likes
    I think the first two are definitely superior; have better stories and a better atmosphere than the Origins entry released the year before the next gen with (Ark Knight). I had fun with Origins too though. In Arkham Knight on next gen, they focused A LOT of the combat/maneuvering around Gotham being necessitated/related the Batmobile/bike. Sounds fun, but takes some of the fun out of gliding around the city and making calculated strategic entries to start battles/missions.
    In some ways, the different elements of combat were probably a good thing tbh to ensure it didn't become too repetitive or stale in the series' 4th entry similar to what took down Assassin's Creed (not really, but got the stigma).
    Still by far the best Comic entry into video games recently unless you count fighting games (Injustice/Marvel v Capcom); Deadpool is a decent hack n slash too if can be had on the very cheap as well as Wolverine: Uncaged Edition w/the M rating w/plenty of hack n slash gore and platforming; very underrated game as it really delves into the violent nature of Wolverine's fighting technique when compared to the tamed down movie scenes; Wolverine kills A LOT and this game got that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017