1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Video card upgrade/fan repair question/s

Discussion in 'Technology Discussions' started by Achilleslastand, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

186 Messages
    165 Likes
    I was cleaning out the PC a few weeks ago and got a tad to close to one of the R290s blades with the little compressor and broke off 2 blades.
    When gaming it would make a fair bit of noise so I took the fan out and applied some 3-1 oil to the bearing on the backside and tightened her up real good and the noise has quit but I have quietly been thinking about a upgrade for several months.

Due to the spacing of the mounting brackets on the fan I would assume finding an exact replacement might be difficult. Has anyone attempted this?

Now on to possible upgrades.
    I kinda want to stay away from AMD and go Nvidia this go round and have around 400$ to spend. The 1060 really isn't that much of a upgrade if at all and the 1080s are out of my price range which really only leaves the 1070. I thought these things were supposed to be around the 399 range but boy was I wrong. The cheapest I could find is around 479 and the couple models that were cheaper{around 440} were of course sold out. Most 1070s went from 500-700$ which seems to be a huge markup.
    Maybe when the new AMDs come out the prices may drop a bit.

Your thoughts?

2. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

221 Messages
    169 Likes
    Not sure. I bought the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP video card from Newegg for $275 back in December of 2016. I've been very happy with it, but it seems Newegg is out of them and the price is now back at $299. This card is a bit better than the GTX 980 cards and supposed to be a direct competitor to the .

It plays DOOM 2016 without any issues at all. Not sure about the games you play. I expect this to last me at least 3+ years.

I agree with you about staying away from AMD. Though I do that mainly because Nvidia (even though they are a pain in the ass) usually has less issues working in Linux.

As for your current video card. It sounds like missing blades on the fan would cause it to be out of balance. That will lower the life of that fan significantly if it's operating like that. Heh you might want to turn the PC off when you're cleaning it in the future! :)

I will say this. I like to buy cards that will play anything a full resolution for the next 3 years. I don't agree with playing extreme sums of money for a card as you will have to use that card for a very long time to exercise your ROI. If you bought a GTX 980 Ti three years ago, it would be comparable to buying the 1060 today, so you would be using that card for like 6-7+ year before you get the value of buying (2) $200-$300 cards over six years and a lower likelihood of failure of a single card over that span. More than likely, buying what amounts to two 1060 cards will overall cost you less and yet still play all the games.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Achilleslastand likes this.
  3. Achilleslastand

186 Messages
    165 Likes
    Actually the PC wasnt on :), the little compressor is powerful and didn't take much to snap off 2 of the blades. The blades it broke are on opposite ends so that balances it out a little I suppose, plus I oiled the bearing and it quit making noise when I am gaming.

Looking at this it looks like the 980 has a slight advantage, http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2576vs3639. I am gaming at 1440 so may need something a little stronger although ill admit the 1060 does look impressive compared to my current card. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-290-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2171vs3639

4. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes
    Oh I see. You're using an air compressor. I thought you were just using compressed air hah.

I game in DOOM at 1920x1080 with no issues. Though I was just recently looking at 28" monitors that do quite a bit higher resolution. Not sure what the effect of that would be.

5. Achilleslastand

186 Messages
    165 Likes
    I have a 32 inch monitor that runs @ 2560x1440 which is a little more taxing on the 290. If I were to have a 4K monitor im sure I would really have to lower the graphical options in games when I play. The R290 is still a very solid card jut beginning to shows it age, ive gotten over 3 yrs use out of it which I suppose is ok.

6. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes
    Yeah, the 28" monitors I believe were 4k, but I hear you need at least a 55" to really see any difference for 4k. (ie, anything less is a waste of excess DPI)

You require an nVidia SLI 1080 Ti setup. Get one ASAP! :D

7. Achilleslastand

186 Messages
    165 Likes

Sure I do, ill pm the address where you can send the check to help:)

8. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes