1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of GOG?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by maxdogg, Sep 12, 2017.

1. maxdogg

maxdogg Well-Known Member PC Gamer

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    What do you think of G.O.G. I bought some games from them no problem and you can play them offline.
    But I think they are based somewhere in eastern Europe?
    They have some funky extra charges.Not sure what that's about?

Zeras likes this.
  2. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I haven't bought a games from GOG, but have known about them a long time. I've had friends that bought games through them without any issues though. I have no idea on the extra charges.

maxdogg likes this.
  3. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    Yeah they charge a couple extra dollars for overseas stuff????
    I am always leary of eastern Europe but I think they are ok.
    They seem to be getting newer games also.

Zeras likes this.
  4. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I avoid eastern developed games but that has more to do with their play style than trust issues. I think GOG has always been a poor man's Steam clone, but with a focus on older games. That said, I think they are a viable alternative and a nice way to replay games you played long ago that have been updated to work on today's operating systems.

maxdogg likes this.
  5. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I threw away so many games months ago because I knew there were going to be too many issues trying to ever reinstall them. One of the reasons I was able to do that was because I knew I could likely find an updated version online for sale.

maxdogg likes this.
  6. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    Yeah I have a crate of old P.C. games in my basement that I cant play except for getting them on gog or steam.
    I agree thet gog is a poor mans steam and it looks like they are slowly trying to directly compete with them.

Zeras likes this.
  7. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    Aye, I just looked at them and it does seem they have been making some improvements since the last time I visited the site. I get their emails all the time as I have had an account with them for ages.

Now that I think about it, I have claimed a couple free games from them over the years :)

maxdogg likes this.
  8. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    LOL yeah I get the e-mails also and the free games but I have not bought from them in awhile.
    I just am not sure how secure using a credit card is with them.
    I only use steam cards on steam.
    Mostly to keep me from spending what I don't have:)

Zeras likes this.
  9. Zeras

429 Messages
    259 Likes
    I have a card I use only for online purchases with a capped limit, but I still like to be careful. When I have to deal with sites I don't trust or am concerned with, I will pay with PayPal if they support it before using that card.

maxdogg likes this.
  10. maxdogg

50 Messages
    35 Likes
    That is a really good idea!

Zeras likes this.
  11. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member PC Gamer

210 Messages
    189 Likes
    That's odd, I don't think I have ever been charged extra for using GOG, I believe{?}the people that made the Witcher series CDProjekt own GOG as well. I've gotten several good games on sale at GOG, as far as CC info I just keep my pc clean and erased of any and all clutter daily{even been accused of being OCD about it}. I use CCleaner and BleachBit and sometimes Wise365.
    Right now though Steam is a monster and I don't see anyone competing for a long long time.

maxdogg likes this.