1. Welcome to GameNotOver!
    Come on! You know you want to!
  2. Tell Everyone About GameNotOver!
    We need your help to grow our community and it starts by spreading the word about GameNotOver to everyone you know! You are the founding members of this site and have a chance to shape it into the best gaming community on the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Which gaming headset do you use while gaming?

Discussion in 'Technology Discussions' started by Zeras, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Zeras

Zeras Administrator PC Gamer

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I have done of a lot of research on headsets, but it seems like where one site, video, etc. raves about one headset and bashes another one, you go to the next site, video, etc. and they say just the opposite.

I have always loved Sennheiser headsets mainly due to the sound quality outside of gaming, but I would like to find a really good headset that provides very good directional hearing, high quality sound for music and the ability to detect light sounds such as footprints.

What are you guys using?

2. SlaughterMachine

SlaughterMachine Well-Known Member PC Gamer

221 Messages
    169 Likes
  3. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I love bass, but I don't like too much bass. A good example is I have an older set of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. They sound great and the subwoofer compliments the speakers rather than overtakes them.

A year or so ago I bought a a set of Kilipsec 2.1 speakers that were highly rating for gaming. I plugged them in and tweaked them as much as possible and I could never stop the bass from overtaking and drowning out the high and mid-range sounds. I might as well have just hooked up my computer to my Sony 7.1 entertainment sound system.

4. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes
    I used to have a great set of Altec Lansing speakers that were awesome, but after about 12 years the sub-woofer died. The comparable speakers they sold after that were garbage in comparison. The sound quality just wasn't there.

Once I got married and no longer lived alone (and now living in an apartment) speakers aren't really an option. I have a decent set now, but anything with even slight bass, my neighbors start tapping on the walls. Hence the good headset.

The bass in my headset isn't overpowering of the sound. They actually sound great. I mean movie theater quality sound, but man if you aren't expecting it. It will jar you like nobody's business!

5. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I agree. The Altec Lansing speakers I have are very old, at least 10+ years. I bought newer Altec Lansing speakers a few years ago but ended up returning them as they did not sound nearly as good as the ones I was trying to replace.

6. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    It's shocking that none of the other PC gamers here use a gaming headset.

7. Lothos08

Lothos08 Well-Known Member Playstation Gamer

51 Messages
    44 Likes
    Can a console gamer get some advice on what to look for in a headset - what to look for? Sony gives you a lame ear bud and I've never tried the headset for Xbox.

Outside of the headset being universal, wireless and noise cancelling, I'm not sure what else to look for in a headset. I've done some preliminary research and see that there are some headsets that are universal - LogiTech G933, Astro A40. Are there others to recommend?

8. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton Member PC Gamer

22 Messages
    18 Likes
    I use a Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 headset depending on the game and situation.

Zeras likes this.
  9. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    That's one of the headsets I am looking at it. I have a few questions if you don't mind ..

1) Are you happy with the headset?
    2) How is the non-game sound quality such as listening to music?
    3) How is directional hearing?
    4) Is the bass overwhelming?
    5) Would you buy the headset again or something else?

10. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton Member PC Gamer

22 Messages
    18 Likes
    I'm totally happy with the headset. They have met my expectations in every way. I find the non-game sound quality to be quite good. Everything is loud and clear sounding. I also find them to be really good for hooking up to my phone for hands free phone calls. I've never listened to a Sennheiser headset, so I have no way to give a comparison, but those are quite a bit more expensive and probably of better quality than my 90 something dollar Cloud 2's. The directional hearing seems to work as advertised, and the simulated 7.1 feature seems good too. Just be sure to go back to stereo when listening to music, as the 7.1 sounds kind of distorted there. I don't find the bass overwhelming at all. It seems to be about right. But I'm not a big booming bass kind of person. And yes, I'd buy them again. I find the sound quality, and the mic quality to be quite good. No one has ever complained about not being able to hear me clearly in game, or when I'm using the headset for phone calls. The headset is well built, sturdy, and comfortable. It comes with two sets of ear piece cushion things. One is like a fake leather, and the other is some kind of softer stuff. Sorry. I don't know what it's called. I use the softer stuff, because it is super comfy, and doesn't make my ears get hot like the fake leather ones tend to do. Both are good though. I hope this helps.

Zeras likes this.
  11. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    They sound exactly like what I need for gaming. They don't have to rival Sennheiser for non-gaming as I don't really need them for that. I think it would be really hard for a headset to be awesome for gaming and music at the same time simply because gaming requires amplified and directional sounds more so than music.

I bought an on-ear (not over) Sennheiser headset many years ago and when the ear cushions started to finally crack (fake leather), I was able to buy the same model again as Sennheiser was still making it I assume due to popularity. The main reason I bought the smaller on-ear headsets though was due to taking them to the office as they did a good job of keeping the sounds just in my ears and not other people around me, but also let me hear people who walked up to my desk.

Now though, I am starting to move from co-op games like MMOs to more PvP games like Overwatch so I will need a gaming focused headset, especially one with directional hearing. I have been looking at Turtle Beach (no specific model) because I loved their high-end sound cards long ago, but after researching headsets for a while, the main ones I am considering right now are the HyperX Cloud 2 and the HyperX Cloud Core. I had considered the Astro A50 due to wireless, but they are quite expensive.

Thank you for all of the information as that's really quite helpful!

Jack_Burton likes this.
  12. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I finally decided to go with the HyperX Cloud II headset. So far, it's impressive, but I still think the Sennheiser G4ME One or Zero headsets would have been better had they not cost so much.

I got the black/gun metal version rather than the normal black/red version.

Jack_Burton likes this.
  13. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes
  14. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member PC Gamer

52 Messages
    45 Likes
    [​IMG]
    I use these, sennheiser hd 598's. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2

I use to buy the "gaming headsets" such as the steel series Siberia's because they had a mic in the headset. My 598's do not include a mic but I use it with a blue snowball mic. [​IMG]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PYGTUQ/ref=twister_B015U3QY1A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the 598's on Black Friday in 2014 for $80. This headset is hands down the best headset I've ever owned. The 598 is "audiophile" quality so the sound is great for gaming. My only real gripe with it is that it's not sound canceling and when I travel to lans it can be difficult to hear footsteps and gun fire. When I am at home, I hear everything crisp, loud, and clear.

15. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    It would have helped had you responded earlier :D

I'm a huge Sennheiser fan and I almost bought the Sennheiser G4ME Zero or One headset, which is supposed to be similar or the same as the HD598 headset, but with a mic. The main reason I didn't get those is because the mic is not removable, and I wanted to have the option in case I needed a headset w/mic while travelling.

With the Cloud 2 headset, I can remove the mic and use an external mic, which is one of my next purchases. I'm leaning toward getting the black-out edition Blue Yeti mic along with a stabilizer and boom arm.

That said, I'm already kind of wishing I had bought a Sennheiser headset as the quality of the Cloud 2's, while probably great for most people, is not as good as my old Sennheiser headset which was cheaper and older.

16. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I also was looking at the Sennheiser GSP 300 and GSP 350 Surround Sound headsets as well.

17. Section446

Section446 Member PC Gamer

12 Messages
    6 Likes
    Man'O War

18. Zeras

384 Messages
    213 Likes
    I think ultimately I will go with high-end headphones (Sennheiser most likely) and an external mic rather than use a combo headset. I got the HyperX Cloud 2 headset and while solid, it's just not as good as I was hoping it would be, especially the mic.

An external mic would give me better mic control and sound quality and also allow me to use my speakers when I want to take a break from the headset.

19. SlaughterMachine

221 Messages
    169 Likes
    Just buy a cheap Chinese one off ebay. /muttley